Friday, October 13, 2006

....like it's 1959...

Looks like B XVI might make it easier to say the Latin Mass again. I, having been born in '82, missed the Latin Mass (although my parents had it when they were little), and I'd like to try it out, at least once. There's a church here in Columbus (St. Pat's) that has one every so often, but I've never been. Sounds like a good idea to me...it should at least be an option for people who miss it. Vatican II did some great things, but I think it also "threw the baby out with the bathwater," to some extent, and stripped away a lot more reverence, awe, and mystery than should've been removed. I would like to see women in hats and men in suits at Mass, no more Buckeye jerseys, torn jeans, bare tummies, and flip-flops!!!

1 comment:

Waleria said...

Hi !
I'm younger than you, but having been educated in a Catholic school that had special permission to celebrate the Latin (Saint Pius V) Mass, I know it at least a bit...and I find it great that it is being rehabilitated. While I don't think of it in terms of it being 'better'than the Vatican II Mass (the Mass is always wonderful, whatever the rite !, I have to say that it helps me a lot to focus on what's going on. It is a really uplifting rite, specially if you have the chance of having a gregorian choir. Plus, as you say, it somewhat influences people in a good way : people do show a lot more reverence for God (at least on the surface) when they go to the Mass in Latin.