Monday, March 27, 2006

torn over immigration

I gotta tell you, I'm torn on the illegal immigration argument that's going on in the States. One part of me says, "hey, my relatives got here the legal way, and our family was split up for awhile, but we got through it and nobody broke any laws" (except maybe the mafia relations, but that's another story). But then I see websites like "Justice for Immigrants", which is, apparently, the "official" bishops' website for immigration policy. And I read it and I think, OK, so I know we're supposed to love our neighbor and welcome the stranger and all that, but why have laws otherwise? Is it a sin to tell people they've got to come here legally? That they can just wander across the border and expect us to throw them a parade?

I don't know. Any thoughts?

No comments: