Thursday, March 02, 2006

Lent begins...so what are we all giving up?

Went to Ash Wednesday Mass yesterday, partially because I always do, and partially because I had to sing. :) I managed to get 95% through my first day of fasting (I didn't have to before my surgery b/c I had to sort of eat all the time in order to keep on weight) but I fudged it after Mass and had some chocolate. :) hey, what do you want? It was my first time really doing it. And I didn't have any meat or eat beetween meals.

The Mas was nice--my favorite part was the homily, when our pastor said, "Today is not a holiday. Sunday was a holiday. Yet there are more people here tonight then there will be on Sunday all month." Ahh, truth from the pulpit. :)

I haven't really decided what to give up for Lent yet...I'm moving so it's not like I can totally give up buying things, which is sort of what I was thinking about. But I thinking I'm going to try to start wokring on being more "fiscally responsible"--I still haven't quite figured out what exactly that means but I'm working on it. :) I've got 40 days. I've also started more bible reading, so that should count for something.

Bleg: are all Fridays of Lent fast and abstinence, or just no meat? I can't find it in my books, which is shocking. Any clarification would be awesome.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Fridays of Lent are days of abstinence except Good Friday which is fast and abstinence.
Good Luck,
Aunt J.

Valerie said...

Hi Em - My name is Valerie, and your dad and my hubby (Cam) are great friends. Cam sent me the link to your blog, and I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts. I have a blog, too, at www.iammykidsmom.blogspot.com so feel fre to come on over for a visit. Take care! Val