Monday, November 21, 2005

The Single Life

I was reading on Catholic Exchange over the weekend (www.catholicexchange.com) an article about the "vocation of being single" and how it relates to the Church, since a lot of the vocation talk gets centered on married couples and vowed religious. Singles kind of get the shaft. Now I'm only 23, so it's not like I'm an old church lady yet, but I will say it can be kind of a bummer to be Catholic and single, because there's so much emphasis on family and children, which I want, but don't have. In the meantime, though, I guess I'll just have to take the article's suggestions, which are that since I'm single, I have more "free time" and can do more for the Church, which is definitely true. I'm in the Church choir, on Spiritual Life Committee, and a Eucharistic Minister, and I volunteer at various things. I will admit it's nice to be able to have the freedom to commit myself that way without having to check the family schedule or see what my boyfriend's doing that night. I know there are plenty of ways I can serve the Church in my current "life state." But I've always wanted a family. Isn't it crazy how God will sometimes give you a yearning that isn't yet fulfilled (or--gulp--might never be?). That always struck me as odd. But I guess I'll just have to learn to let God work His ways and do with me as He pleases, since that's the only way I'll really be happy, anyway. But the holidays are coming, which means the inevitable, "So, are you seeing anyone?" Can we call a moratorium on that question, please?? Thanks! :) It'll help me adjust to the vocation I've got now, instead of wishing for the one I had!

No comments: