Wednesday, November 30, 2005

The Vatican Doc revealed

I know I've written about this a few times on this site, but it was interesting to get "official" reaction today. Most of them ran the usual gantlet--oh, this is bad for the Church, the Church is obsessed with sex (jiminy Christmas, that's an old one), bishops either firmly supporting it or hemming and hawing about how it needs to be "interpreted". Yada Yada Yada.

My favorite from today? U.S.A. Today ran an editorial that says "Church document not enlightened" (there we go again! We're just a bunch of simpletons sitting in the woods and having babies), which is "choosing to foster fear and unrest" among the priests and the faithful. The interesting thing is that the author says right out that she is a product of all-the-way-up Catholic school: grade and high school and college. And yes she's the former GLAAD executive director....hmm. Makes you wonder how her parents feel about spending all that money having her educated in Catholic doctrine and practice. Doesn't seem like much of it stuck. Parents: even if you send your child to Catholic school, make sure that you're teaching them the right stuff at home, too, please. God only knows what some of these schools get away with teaching!

Like I've said before, this document is, to me, essentially moot. I mean, you're required to be celibate, no matter what your personal "tendencies". That's just the way it is. I don't care if you're gay, if you're living celibately and chastely as the Church requires, that's fine with me. If, however, you're not, or you feel that gays get a bad rap in the Church and are out to crusade against Church policy, then that's not OK with me, and apparently it's not OK with the Vatican. Like one Cardinal said:

Cardinal Zenon Grocholewski, gets to the common sense of it in a Vatican Radio interview, relayed by the Washington Post this morning: "For the church, denying ordination to gay men is no more discriminatory than 'if a person who suffers from vertigo is not admitted to a school for astronauts,' the cardinal said." If you don't accept the Church's teachings on sexuality, how would it make sense for you to be a priest? How would it make sense for the Church to have you serving as a priest? Why would you even want to?" (hat tip: The Corner http://corner.nationalreview.com)

That's sort of the way I feel. I mean, if you're a gay man (practicing, I suppose would be the word, or active) then why would you want to give it up? I guess you would feel called to be a priest, but some calls can be mistaken, or what not. It seems to me that if you're living in a way contrary to Church teachings, or you believe something contrary to Church teachings, then perhaps representing that Church as a priest and acting in the personage of Jesus on the altar is perhaps not the best career choice for you.

There will be more on this, I'm sure, but that's all I have for now. Feel free to post your own thoughts!

No comments: