Tuesday, November 22, 2005

That "uncool" Vatican document...

If you were near a major media outlet today, particularly a newspaper, you probably tumbled upon an article reviewing the new Vatican Document about gays in the priesthood. I've talked about it earlier on this site (...go to the home page and read "and the winner is...orthodoxy!" for more), so I won't burden you with more of the same, but I just have to get this off my chest--

since when did the Catholic Church in the West allow practicing *anythings* in the priesthood?? You must be celibate--that's the way it is, heterosexual, homosexual, whatever. It's a remarkably fair policy. If you want to be a priest, you can't get married, you can't have "sexual relations" as a priest, (and you should'nt've had them before! Ahem!) that's just it. This is not new. And yet the press is acting like we've just said that you can't be a priest if you have brown hair! Come on! Not that I expect parity fromn the press (Lord knows it won't happen) but I would like a wee bit of fairness. Just a little. A tad. The document is expected to be released next week on the 29th, so I'm sure there will be more on this....sigh.

No comments: