Friday, May 26, 2006

From the editorial pages: DVC

I keep telling myself that I'm not going to waste any more brain power on DVC, but the media just won't let me keep my own promise...sigh....

Here's a letter from the Toledo Blade :

I have not seen the movie The Da Vinci Code nor read the book, and I don't intend to. This much I have in common with many of the protesters.
Why is it that the religious of the world think everyone else must be "portected" from "deviant" ideas whether fact or fiction? If their teachings are correct can't we see it?
In the less tolerant countries of the world "protection" takes the form of bombings, shootings, and kidnappings. Here in the enlightened USA the "protection" is only protests, demonstrations, and boycotts. So far.

Well, jiminy frost!
Like I said in my last post, if this were about Jews or Muslims, there wouldn't be any discussion about being "enlightened" or "tolerant." Why do Christians, and Catholics especially, have to be tolerant of other people always trashing their faith? Why can't we protest and stand up for it, as is our right? Huh? Why do we just have to sit quietly and be "tolerant"? I don't think so. I'm sick of it. That's a weak argument and it's just not fair to us. We have a voice, too, and when our views are being smashed and defamed on movie screens around the world, that's not cool. We just have to be tolerant of it, hmm? No. I don't think so. We're not going to burn things and kill people a la the Muslim world over a cartoon. But we are going to protest and tell you what's what. Because it's just dumb.

No comments: